SRC-2016-0043 : Microsoft Office Word Array Indexing Out-Of-Bounds Read Information Disclosure Vulnerability
- Microsoft Word 2007 Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 2 (32-bit editions)
- Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 2 (64-bit editions)
- Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Word for Mac 2011
- Word Automation Services on Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 Service Pack 2
- Microsoft Office Web Apps 2010 Service Pack 2
This vulnerability allows remote attackers to disclose information on vulnerable installations of Microsoft Office Word. User interaction is required to exploit this vulnerability in that the target must visit a malicious page or open a malicious file.
The specific flaw exists within processing of a document file. A specially crafted doc file will lead to a read beyond the end of a heap buffer due to improper index calculation for array access before a copy operation. An attacker can leverage this in conjunction with other vulnerabilities to execute arbitrary code in the context of the current process.
Microsoft has issued an update to correct this vulnerability. More details can be found at: https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2016-7291
- 2016-09-21 – Vulnerability reported to vendor
- 2016-12-13 – Coordinated public release of advisory
This vulnerability was discovered by Steven Seeley of Source Incite