SRC-2016-0040 : Microsoft Office Excel Binary Worksheet Use-After-Free Remote Code Execution Vulnerability
- Microsoft Excel 2007 Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Excel 2010 Service Pack 2 (32-bit editions)
- Microsoft Excel 2010 Service Pack 2 (64-bit editions)
- Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Excel Viewer
This vulnerability allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code on vulnerable installations of Microsoft Office Excel. User interaction is required to exploit this vulnerability in that the target must visit a malicious page or open a malicious file.
The specific flaw exists within the handling of binary Excel files (.xlsb). By providing a malformed file, an attacker can cause a pointer to be re-used after it has been freed. An attacker could leverage this to execute arbitrary code under the context of the current user.
Microsoft has issued an update to correct this vulnerability. More details can be found at: https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2016-3359
- 2016-06-29 – Vulnerability reported to vendor
- 2016-09-13 – Coordinated public release of advisory
Proof of Concept:
This vulnerability was discovered by Steven Seeley of Source Incite