SRC-2016-0042 : Microsoft Office Word OneTableDocumentStream Integer Underflow Information Disclosure Vulnerability
- Microsoft Word 2007 Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 2 (32-bit editions)
- Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 2 (64-bit editions)
- Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Word for Mac 2011
- Word Automation Services on Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 Service Pack 2
- Microsoft Office Web Apps 2010 Service Pack 2
This vulnerability allows remote attackers to disclose information on vulnerable installations of Microsoft Office Word. User interaction is required to exploit this vulnerability in that the target must visit a malicious page or open a malicious file.
The specific flaw exists within the handling of a OneTableDocumentStream chunk during the processing of a specially crafted doc file. A data point value is used to calculate a size variable which can be underflowed before a heap allocation. During further processing, the allocated chunk is used as a source buffer during a memcpy operation leading to an out-of-bounds read condition. An attacker can leverage this in conjunction with other vulnerabilities to execute arbitrary code in the context of the current process.
Microsoft has issued an update to correct this vulnerability. More details can be found at: https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2016-7290
- 2016-09-21 – Vulnerability reported to vendor
- 2016-12-13 – Coordinated public release of advisory
This vulnerability was discovered by Steven Seeley of Source Incite